Chicago Italian Beef Roll Recipe
Cook:4-6 hours – we know it is a long time
Skill level Easy
Servings Serves 8
This Chicago classic may take its time, but the results are worth it
1 large white onion, cut into thick slices
6 cloves crushed garlic
450ml chicken stock
Sliced pickles (bread and butter style pickles are best)
A handful pf jalapenos
2tbs Dijon mustard
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
8 x soft large ‘submarine’ style rolls
For the spice mix
4tbs coarse ground coffee
4tsp cracked black pepper
zest 1 orange
2tbs soft dark brown sugar
2tsp Chilli Salt
1. Mix the Chilli Salt and other ingredients for the spice mix together and rub into brisket. Add more chilli flakes for a spicier sandwich.
2. Put the onion, garlic and stock into a deep roasting dish.
3. Sit the brisket on top, cover with parchment and foil. Roast at 150C for 6 hours. If the liquid evaporates during this time, top it up with water.
4. Mix the mayo, mustard and Worcestershire sauce together, spread onto the sliced buns.
5. Allow the brisket to cool for about 40 minutes, then slice into thick pieces.
6. Put onto the buns, add pickles and jalapenos.
7. Skim the fat off the sauce, serve this in a pot to dip the sandwich in.
8. Eat with fries and a cold beer.