Homemade Pork Scratchings
Cook: at least 20-25 mins - but watch them, because they will catch and burn!
Skill level Easy
Servings Serves 6- 8
A great way to make scratchings is to salt it, roast at a high heat and then toss the crackled pieces of rind in a roasted pounded spice mix.
1½ tbsp Herb Salt
2 tsp Dante’s Inferno Spice
500g pork rind, with at least 1cm of fat.
You need a hot oven for this recipe so preheat it to about 225-230 degrees celcius.
1. You need to get your pork rind as dry as possible (as with much of life if it’s damp it won't crackle) and with a bit of fat beneath. Cut it into little finger sized strips with a pair of sturdy scissors
2. Fry the Dante’s Inferno Spice and then mix in ½ the Herb Salt..
3. Rub the rind with half of the Herb Salt and leave for 20 minutes.
4. Put the pieces on a rack in a roasting tray without touching each other.
5. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes. You don't have to use a rack but using one will drain some of the fat away. Turn the roasting tray around every five minutes or so, making sure the rind doesn't burn or catch. When the scratchings are bubbly and crisp they are ready.
6. Mix together the Dante’s Inferno Spice and hot scratchings in a bowl and toss to give them a good coating.
7. They are best eaten quite soon after cooking, but will keep in an airtight container for a few days.