Roast Leg of Lamb with Baharat and Vegetables
Give roast leg of lamb a Middle Eastern twist with, a blend of Baharat spices and roasted root vegetables.
Skill level Medium
Servings Serves 6
2 garlic cloves, crushed with 1 tablespoon sea salt
3 tablespoons Baharat Spice rub
1 kg) leg of lamb
80ml olive oil
6 shallots, whole
12 small potatoes, or potato chunks
12 baby carrots
3 parsnips, halved
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into wedges
6 garlic cloves
few sprigs rosemary
1 tablespoon sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/400F/gas 7.
2. Mix the garlic paste with the Baharat Spice rub.
3. Cut the lemon in half and rub it all over the lamb. Use your fingers to massage the spice paste all over the meat, making sure you get into all the cavities.
4. Put half the olive oil into a baking dish, add the lamb and cook in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 180C (350F) and cook the lamb for a further 20 minutes.
5. Now take the dish out of the oven and pour the rest of the oil into the base of the pan. Add all the vegetables, garlic and rosemary and sprinkle with a little salt. Shake them around as well as you can coat with the oil.
6.Put the pan back in the oven to cook for another 40 minutes. Check from time to time and turn the vegetables around in the pan to make sure they cook evenly.
An 80 minutes cooking time will give a medium-rare result. Allow the meat to stand for 10 minutes before carving and serving with the pan juices.