Spicy poppy seed savoury biscuits
Skill level Easy
Servings Makes at least 36 biscuits
A selection of homemade savoury, buttery biscuits is just what’s needed at your family get together.
375g/13oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp salt
125g/4½oz unsalted butter, softened
2 medium free-range eggs
2 tbsp poppy seeds
40g/1½oz parmesan, grated (or a similar vegetarian hard cheese)
2 tbsp BBQ Spice or Caribbean Island Spice or Berbere Spice or Smoky Bean Blend
1. Put the flour, salt, butter, one of the eggs and 40ml/1½fl oz water into a bowl and mix well for five minutes until you have a smooth dough. Divide the dough in half.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, knead the poppy seeds and one Spice Blend of your choice in to one half of the dough and the parmesan and another Blend to the other.
3. Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured work surface to about 3mm thick. Place each piece of dough on a baking tray, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C(fan)/Gas 6. Dust two large baking trays with flour.
5. Using a 7cm/2¾cm round cutter cut out 18 rounds from each half of the dough, re-rolling as necessary. Place the rounds on the baking tray.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden-brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold.