Sticky ginger cake
Cook:50 mins - 1 hr
Skill level Easy
Servings Serves 12
Try this moist and gooey spicy ginger cake – simply the best cake ever. Don’t worry about using a ‘savoury spice’ – the spice works so well in the cake.
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp Caribbean Island Spice
1 tsp ground mixed spice
115g butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
115g dark muscovado sugar
115g black treacle
115g golden syrup
250ml whole milk
(85g drained stem ginger, finely grated – optional)
For the icing (again optional)
50g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to fan 160C/conventional 180C/gas 4. Butter and line an 18cm round, 7cm deep cake tin with greaseproof or parchment paper.
2. Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda and all the Caribbean Island Spice and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Put the sugar, treacle, syrup and milk in a medium saucepan and heat, gently stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and bring the mixture to just below boiling point.
4. At this point add the stem ginger to the flour mixture, then pour in the treacle mixture, stirring as you go with a wooden spoon. Break in the egg and beat until all the mixture is combined and it resembles a thick pancake batter.
5. Pour this into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour, until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out fairly clean.
6. Leave to cool completely in tin before turning cake out. (To freeze: wrap in greaseproof paper, then in cling film. Freeze for up to 1 month.)
7. Cake keeps for up to 2 weeks stored in an airtight container and in fact improves in flavour if left for a couple of days before eating.
8. To make the icing, mix together icing sugar and lemon zest, then gradually add lemon juice until you have a smooth, slightly runny icing, adding more juice, if needed. Drizzle icing in a zig-zag pattern over surface of cake